Last week, Chevrolet previewed a squadron of small-car concepts debuting at the event, while performance-oriented visions of the new Malibu Turbo and the forthcoming 2014 Impala will also be on hand. Chevy’s display wouldn’t be complete without a few Corvette and Camaro concepts, but their details are being kept under wraps until the show opens.
“At Chevrolet, performance comes in many different forms that appeal to many different customers – and that’s exactly what we demonstrate at the SEMA Show,” said Chris Perry, vice president of Chevrolet marketing. “We play close attention to the reaction our concepts receive, because the feedback helps determine the viability for producing new accessories and even special-edition production vehicles.”
Chevrolet is taking its popular Shop Talk garage experience display to a higher level this year, too. Building on the success of the engine-building demonstrations last year, the new Shop Talk display will offer four “bays” of activities:
- Crate Powertrain Systems – Chevrolet Performance’s engines, transmissions and controllers are featured, along with a crate powertrain system installed on the open chassis of a 1988 Monte Carlo SS.
- Chevrolet Performance Parts and Accessories – Displays of new Camaro ZL1- and 1LE-based upgrade kits, along with exterior and interior enhancements are on hand, with installation demonstrations performed on a Camaro SS throughout the event.
- Sonic Personalization Installation – Chevrolet Performance brakes, suspension components and wheels, along with Z-Spec accessories, will be demonstrated with live installation sessions on an Inferno Orange Metallic Sonic.
- Build Your Own Crate Engine – The assembly procedures for a supercharged LS9 crate engine will be demonstrated, showing the steps customers take when they purchase the Build Your Own Crate Engine option with an LS7 or LS9 engine from Chevrolet Performance.
Chevrolet Performance’s range includes E-Rod emissions-compliant crate engines, which have received Executive Order numbers from California Air Resources Board – making them legal for installation in more than 20 million pre-1996 vehicles in California.
Malibu Turbo Performance Concept
With its new 2.0L turbocharged engine producing 20 pounds of boost – to generate 259 horsepower – the 2013 Malibu Turbo can sprint from 0 to 60 mph in 6.3 seconds and reach a top speed of 155 mph. That makes it the fastest Malibu ever from Chevrolet.
Designers and engineers gave the Malibu Turbo Performance Concept an aggressive edge, with a blend of high-performance and upscale appointments inside and out, wrapping them in Berlin Blue Tricoat exterior paint and a Jet Black/Navy Blue interior. It’s only a vision of where the Malibu Turbo production model could go, but those designers and engineers will be listening to the reaction it elicits in Vegas. The concept’s unique elements include:
- Ground effects package, including front splitter, rockers and rear diffuser, accented in Heroic Blue
- Custom lower grille and fog lamp grilles
- Black ice-tinted chrome accents
- Blaze Red-painted fog lamp bezels and inner exhaust bezels
- Black-painted mesh grille inserts, fog lamp grilles, window surround moldings and wheel center caps
- Clear tail lamp lenses
- Unique “Turbo” badges
- New 20x8.5-inch aluminum wheels in Night Rider chrome
- Pirelli PZero 255/35ZR20 tires
- RECARO sport seats trimmed in Jet Black leather and Navy Blue suede, with red accent stitching
- Jet Black leather and Navy Blue suede-wrapped flat-bottom steering wheel, door panels and instrument panel
- Navy Blue suede-wrapped shift boot
- Dark Argent and black chrome trim plates.
2014 Impala Concept
The all-new 2014 Impala – Chevrolet’s flagship full-size sedan – was redesigned to deliver greater style, refinement and technology. A personalized vision of the new Impala will be shown at the SEMA Show, featuring a red exterior and black leather interior along with Black Ice-tinted chrome accents, refinished exterior trim and refinished 20-inch wheels.
The Impala goes on sale in early 2013 as the 10th generation of one of the industry’s most enduring – and popular – nameplates. Production highlights include:
- All-new exterior design with a sleek proportion, sculpted body sides, active grille shutters, standard 18-inch wheels and projector-beam headlamps – high-intensity discharge headlamps and LED daytime running lamps standard on LTZ models
- A choice of one of three powertrains engineered to deliver performance and efficiency
- All-new interior with flowing design and integrated center stack that incorporates an available eight-inch touch screen display with Chevrolet MyLink
- Roomier feel with more front and rear legroom and generous storage compartments
- Quieter environment with a greater emphasis on comfort – including active noise cancelation with four-cylinder powertrains
- 360 degrees of active safety features include 10 standard airbags and OnStar, along with available features such as full-speed-range adaptive cruise control, collision mitigation braking, forward collision alert, lane departure warning, side blind zone alert, rear cross traffic alert, rear camera and rear-park assist.
Chevrolet explores the wilder side of its mini, small and compact cars at the SEMA Show this year, with a stable of stylized Spark, Sonic and Cruze concepts. The cars demonstrate the possibilities for customers who want a more personalized driving experience. They include:
- Spark Z-Spec – It demonstrates a cohesive and branded package of enhancements drawn from accessories already available through Chevrolet dealers – giving the cheeky Spark a definite attitude.
- Spark Sinister – The aggressive-looking concept blends rally-inspired exterior cues with a black appearance for a night-racing aesthetic that looks at home in the shadows of a city’s industrial district.
- Sonic Z-Spec 1 – This performance-oriented vision of the Sonic sedan blends the Z-Spec aesthetic with a more capable driving experience, including a power-enhancing exhaust system and upgraded brakes. The capability is matched with street-smart good looks and decked out in a custom Synergy Green exterior color.
- Sonic Z-Spec 2.5 – A tuner-inspired concept with the performance to back up its aggressive stance, the Sonic Z-Spec 2.5 sedan shows what’s attainable with Chevrolet Performance and Chevrolet Accessories parts, along with select aftermarket components and a dash of color.
- Cruze Upscale – The compact sedan moves up a few rungs on the luxury ladder with a Burnished Brandy Metallic exterior and unique exterior appointments. Inside is a brown leather-trimmed interior. This is a Cruze that exudes comfort, taste and style.